Drop-in anchors are female threaded (internally threaded) anchors used for anchoring into concrete. The anchors have a steel tubular expansion shield and a solid cone shaped expander plug, and provide a flush surface when installed. These anchors are great for anchoring shelves or mounting machinery into solid concrete, as well as for overhead anchoring applications.
A drop in anchor requires an additional fastener (generally a hex bolt) to secure a fixture. The bolt and fixture can be removed, leaving the drop in anchor in place for later use. This type of anchor is used in light to heavy duty applications in solid concrete; they are not recommended for use in brick or hollow block.
Denali Industrial Supply is a leading supplier of drop in anchors, serving Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Interior Alaska. Order the drop in anchors you need, request a quote, or contact us to learn more.
How to Install A Drop In Anchor
Note: A drop in anchor setting tool (sold separately) is required for proper installation.
Installing a drop in anchor is a five step process:
- Drill a hole in the concrete surface that is the correct size and depth for the drop in anchor. Refer to manufacturer’s instructions for correct drill bit size.
- Clean all debris from the hole.
- Drop the anchor into the hole, with the open side up.
- Insert the drop in anchor setting tool into the fastener and strike with a hammer until the lip of the tool and the top of the anchor meet.
- Position the fixture over the drop in anchor and insert the corresponding bolt through the fixture and into the anchor.
Drop In Anchor Options
Denali Industrial Supply stocks drop in anchors in 1” to 3-3/16” lengths and in a range of standard diameters from 1/4-20 to 3/4”. Our drop in anchors are manufactured from carbon steel, 303 stainless steel, and 316 stainless steel materials. We also offer replacement internal plugs and set tools for drop in anchors.
- Carbon Steel Drop In Anchor: These uncoated drop in anchors are strong and durable. Recommended for dry/indoor environments.
- 303 Stainless Steel (303SS) Drop In Anchor: Alloy 303 stainless steel provides enhanced corrosion resistance, making these drop in anchors well suited to mildly corrosive environments.
- 316 Stainless Steel (316SS) Drop In Anchor: 316 stainless steel drop in anchors exhibit very high corrosion resistance. Ideal for use in highly corrosive, submerged, or caustic environments.
- Drop In Anchor Internal Plug: In case of a lost, damaged, or worn internal plug, we offer replacements to allow for continued use of the drop in anchor.
- Drop In Anchor Setting Tool: Required for proper installation of drop in anchors, the setting tool is inserted into the anchor and struck with a hammer to press the anchor flush with the concrete surface.
Contact Us for Drop In Anchors & More
Serving Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Interior Alaska, Denali Industrial Supply maintains a huge inventory of drop in anchors. Order today, request a quote, or contact us for the drop in anchors you need.
Our extensive fastener inventory includes a full line of anchors, including:
- Wedge anchors
- Screw anchors
- Sleeve anchors
- Wall anchors
- Bent anchor bolts
- Drive impact anchors
- Expansion shield anchors
- Anchoring epoxy
- Precut anchor rod
- and other anchors